Tolplan has been responsible for the planning, design and construction supervision for the initial construction or expansion of more than 40 toll plazas. The company has also recently and is still responsible for the planning, design and construction supervision of the infrastructure for the Gauteng Open Road Tolling project, including 84 toll gantries across 2 multi-lane freeways, 42 technical shelters, a 20 000m Central Operations Centre and 14 Satellite Centres to accommodate functions such as customer service, toll policing, incident management and response and toll system maintenance.
Toll plaza and ORT infrastructure projects are complex and multi-disciplinary in nature involving transportation, civil, structural, electronic, electrical and mechanical engineering, as well as architecture and quantity-surveying. A very specific definition of the role of each discipline in the planning, design and construction/procurement supervision of each toll plaza or ORT infrastructure element is essential to achieve effective project co-ordination and quality assurance. Tolplan has excelled as a toll infrastructure designer, project manager and specialist since 1982 and possesses exceptional know-how and in-house expertise covering the full spectrum of disciplines involved. Services provided can broadly be categorised as follows:
- Preliminary investigations into and basic planning of toll infrastructure/equipment and possible associated road improvements, which entails:
- Toll plaza lane configuration planning, i.e. planning of the plaza layout to accommodate reversible lanes and special payment methods such as electronic toll collection, including dedicated and express ETC lanes
- Plaza sizing and most likely expansion phases over the design life of the facilities
- Macro-positioning, survey and micro-positioning of the toll facility
- Geotechnical, water supply and environmental impact investigations
- Assistance with land acquisition
- Plaza geometrical layout to accommodate both the lane and building areas
- Creative architectural styling
- Conceptual planning of all toll plaza and equipment elements
- Detailed design and procurement process of toll infrastructure/equipment and possible associated road improvements, which entails:
- Architecture, accommodation of traffic, civil work, structural work, water supply and sewerage, electrical and mechanical work, electronic work and specialised items such as fibre optic links.